Saturday Night’s Alright For Dancing
1. Beyond Disco (with The Simonsound) – DJ Format
2. Let’s Dance and Freak – Kerrier District
3. Bounce – Mr Scruff
4. My Daddy Waza (Ezequiel Lodeiro’s Latinazo Dub) – Kid Loco
5. Two Planets (Mr. Benn’s Bumbaclog Remix) – The Magic Fly Featuring Ricky Ranking
6. Come With Me (J-Boogie Remix) – Daz-I-Cue
7. Disco Bus – Kerrier District
8. Ale’ Sofi (Captain Planet Remix) – Cloak and Dagger
9. Happiness (Bone Us Mix) – Nightmares on Wax
10. Release Da Freak (Simbad Remix) – Pablo Sanchez Feat. Colonel Red
11. When I Come Back Around (Freeform Reform) – Jamie Lidell
1. Kicks off with DJ Format and the The Simonsound mixing up some hip hop / disco so you can’t say fairer than that. Taken from DJ Format’s latest album Statement of Intent, and a treat it is too. The Simonsound is Simon James and Matt Ford (DJ Format). Their album of moogy delights ‘Reverse Engineering‘ is available on Bandcamp. And you know I love Bandcamp! The clip at the start “I’m trying to demonstrate to you my stuff” is from a great Luke Vibert track. Google it.
2. Second up is the first of two tracks taken from Luke Vibert‘s 2004 Nu Disco album under the moniker Kerrier District. Now if only I could get my hands on the Kerrier District 3 record at a reasonable price.
6. Next in the mix is Daz-I-Cue remixed by J Boogie. Don’t know much about Daz-I-Cue I’m afraid though been loving J Boogies output of late, so always on the look out for remixes etc. I found this on the Digital Gems compilation from Berlin based label Sonar Kollektiv.
8. A Captain Planet remix is always welcome and here we delve into a Tropical-flamenco-house style groove with a remix of Cloak and Dagger. Already played this one out and it’s a winner. Check it out here.
9. And here we are going way way back. I’ve been going through all my CDs ripping them to FLAC, as the first time I did them as mp3s and totally regretted it. THe upside is listening to long lost stuff again. Here is Nightmares from Wax, can it really be twenty years ago?? Fuck me. Still brings Happiness. Boom! More upbeat than NOW’s later output and more housey than their debut bleepy album. Nice happy organ sounds. I looped a little samba groove over the top.
10. Next up is a track from the Turntables On The Hudson compilation from last year Reflecting Cielo on Wonderwheel Recordings. This album is full of choice tunes and worth investing in for sure. Here we have Release Da Freak by Pablo Sanchez remixed by Simbad.
11. And wrapping the whole thing up we have another Warp Records oldie, but not going as far back this time. Here we have Jamie Lidell from 2006 with When I Come Back Around. This is the Freeform remix taken from the remix album Multiply Additions.
Don’t be a melt.